Friday, April 18, 2008

Latest Addiction: The Shopaholic Series

Ok, I admit.. I'm a bit outdated.
The very first Shopaholic novel came out in year 2000, and I only read in 2008!
Haha.. poor me..!
I knew few friends who really like reading the novels, but I didn't bother to have a look at them.. after all, I'm not into reading novels back then.. I spent very little time on reading.. except reading magazines and comics.. hehe..

But one day, I was browsing the ChicLit section at Kinokuniya, trying to find some titles that might interest me.. (Actually I went there to find a crochet book, but then end up at ChicLit section.. hehe)..

Before this, I have collections of Marian Keyes's and Julia Llewellyn's (I'll share about their books in other entries later).. and I couldn't find any of theirs at that moment.. Ok, so I lied, actually I found a few Marian Keyes's, but somehow they don't interest me.. and I remember I used to have a book by Sophie Kinsella, entitled "The Undomestic Goddess".. and I really love that novel! Unfortunately the book was destroyed in a flood incident at my house, together with my other 2 favourites, "Diary of a Mad Bride" & "Diary of a Mad Mother-To-Be", both by Laura Wolf.. Huhu..

Then, there they were, a row in the rack.. the Shopaholic series.. Okay, which one should I read first? I had no idea which is the first one, so it took me about half an hour to take a peek of each book and made a decision. Finally, I grab "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and paid at the counter. (I just found out that the first UK edition actually entitles "The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic").. And that is how I got addicted to the series..

It was such an enjoyable reading, funny, with LOTS of hilarious parts in the novel, that made me hardly put it down/aside.. I want to finish the book ASAP! I need to know the ending! I must know how Becky set her life back on track..

Well, here's my personal favourite part.. the one where she went for an interview.. she lied a bit in her resume, where she mentioned that she can converse well in Finnish languange (which she knew none of the word except "Hallo"). Came to the interview expecting for a broker post, somehow the job interview was actually for a post in a bank.. which will be conducted in Finnish language... and she only found out about that when she was already there! Telling herself that she can handle it, she ended up in a board room full of people who speaks Finnish, and when the person interviewing her started talking, guess what she did? She just said "Hallo", turned back and run away for her life!!! Run, Becky, run!!! Hahahahaha.. Can you imagine? Hahahahahahhahahaha...
Moral of the story: Don't you ever-ever-ever put something that you're not good at (or even don't know) in your resume!! Hahahahahaha...

But simply put it this way.. I finished it in 2 days, and next week I went back to Kinokuniya to get another 2, "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" and "Shopaholic Ties The Knot".. I made new record(for myself) by finishing "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" in 1 day! And now I'm enjoying the moment Becky's planning for her wedding in "Shopaholic Ties The Knot".. (I already have a plan in my head to go to Kinokuniya this afternoon and get the last 2 in the series, "Shopaholic & Sister" and "Shopaholic & Baby").. Hehehe..













Oh btw, I just googled about the shopaholic series, and found out that there will be a movie coming out in 2009, based on Confessions of A Shopaholic! Can't wait!


Isla Fisher as Rebecca Bloomwood

No comments: